I can’t help to say or write that this title is one of the most brilliants I’ve read from them and it’s not just void words, they are held by tangent reasons.
The book is written for a wide range of spectators: from the most noobs to the experienced ones. If you have never heard about SpriteKit or even wrote a line in Swift (yes, the code of this book is completely written on the last version of this amazing language) you will be able to follow the instructions provided by the book.
On the contrary, if you count with a background on game development you can over-read the first part of the book and start reading the chapters related to advanced game development and tvOS game support. Yes, this title provides detailed explanations on how to develop games for the Apple Tv and how to get rid of the common problems we face when working with the brand new tvOS.
2D iOS & tvOS Games by Tutorials is organised in six main sections which will teach you the following contents progressively:
- Getting Started: Shows how to create a basic 2D game creating sprites and applying actions and movements to them. In addition it teaches how to build scenes, labels and how to manage the camera. Finally you will also learn how to take advantage of the code developed on this section to port the game for Apple Tv.
- Physics and Nodes: Introduces the Scene Editor to generate scenes. This section also teaches how to create a game with physics and how to play videos, crop nodes and create shapes. In addition you will also give a step forward on your tvOS knowledge.
- Juice: Teaches a technique introduced by Apple on the last version of Sprite Kit: state machines, thanks to which we can handle the status of our game easily. It also teaches how to generate particle systems such as explosions and other techniques to create interesting games audio-visually.
- GameplayKit: Shows how to take advantage of some of the features included this brand new tool which provides support to create pathfinding, agents, goals and provide behaviour to the agents.
- Advanced Topics: Teaches complementary techniques such as creating tile maps, using the randomisation provided by GameplayKit, how to generate procedural levels or supporting external game controllers.
- Bonus Chapters: These last pages show some complementary techniques to create a whole product with Game Center achievements and Leaderboards, using the new ReplayKit, how to include advertisement in our games and how to find or create 2d art for our games.
As you can see on the contents above, this book is a must if you want to be on the front of game development, specifically if you want to be one of the first developers creating games for this renovated device: the Apple Tv.